These days, there are so many different types of syringes and so many different volumes used…
Some users need a standard syringe from a certain producer; others use only glass, metal or plastic syringes. Volumes start from few microlitres to over 150 millilitres. Is it possible to satisfy everybody with just a single syringe pump?
With our new VIT-FIT programmable syringe pump, we have tried to solve just this problem. Our new syringe fixing system allows almost any syringe to be used, from micro syringes to large volume syringes, without the use of an adapter. The syringe is tightly held in both directions – infusion and filling.
In addition, the handling of the syringes is very easy.
Construction advantages of the VIT-FIT (HP) syringe pumps
The combination of a high quality and long-life Swiss motor and ball screws with an extreme mechanical robustness (of 12’000 N which is the force to lift 15 persons!) provide the VIT-FIT syringe pump an unprecedented power and high precision of the syringe pusher movement and the resulting flow rate.
Properties of VIT-FIT (HP) laboratory syringe pump
To move the pusher of the VIT-FIT syringe pumps and the VIT-FIT HP high-pressure syringe pumps, we have selected a new Swiss made motor which uses new technology to ensure very high torque and ten times longer lifetime. For the transformation of the rotation into a linear movement required for pushing the syringe plunger, we have introduced Swiss made ball screws with highest mechanical load capacity. This is an expensive component in our instrument, but it offers decisive advantages to the user in terms of efficiency and mechanical yield/force of the system. This is crucial for a pulsation-free operation. The precise mechanics is protected in the instrument casing and the pusher arm does not reach out from one side (as it is usual with existing syringe pumps), but is integrated into the rear of the instrument. The casing and the main body of the syringe pump are made of metal with solvent resistant protection.
The microprocessor electronics allow control of the activity of the syringe pump in an easy but effective way. The movement of the new brushless neodymium magnet motor is constantly under the control of the microprocessor, which corrects any deviation from the preset speed immediately. Up to 99 program steps can be memorized by the processor. The syringe pump can be programmed in both directions - delivery (infusion) and filling of the syringe (directly on the pump). The program can be repeated in 1 to 99 cycles or endlessly.
- Constant flow rate: In this standard application of the syringe pump – the flow rate will be kept constant during the pre-selected time period
- Profile: Permits varying flow rates to be pre-programmed (including exponentially increasing flow rate as used for e.g. in feeding cultures during fermentation, etc.)
- Increment: Stepwise increase of the flow rate over time (to make gradients)
- Decrement: Stepwise decrease of the flow rate
- Pause: Stops the syringe pump for a specified time before going on to the next step
- Timer: By programming a required time interval with zero flow rate as the first step before the program the syringe pump can be automatically switched on or off
- Stop: Stops the syringe pump after the program has finished.
Speed selection / syringe calibration
To be able to fit the many types of syringes used, the speed selection is made using speed numbers corresponding to the velocity of the rotation of the motor. The selected syringe has to be calibrated. This means that the speed number (from 000 to 999) has to be put into relation with the delivered volume as a function of time (flow rate). The flow rates and delivered volumes corresponding to each speed setting are then easily calculated.
Automatic switch off
The motor of the syringe pump will be switched off automatically when the syringe is empty or has been refilled.
Safe switching power supply
As the mechanical losses are so small we can use a miniature plug-integrated switching power supply using line voltages (from 95 to 240 V AC, 50/60 Hz). During field application the syringe pump can be powered by a 12 V accumulator or a 12 V battery.
Several remote control possibilities of the syringe pump are available:
- Simple ON/OFF (with a 3 to 12 V DC signal or higher with resistor)
- Progressive speed control over the whole range signal 0 to 10 V DC, (0 to 20 or 4 to 20 mA option)
- RS-485 or RS-232 interface (option) for communication with a PC or similar device